11.17.2010

Dinner time

Homemade pasta sauce
*Side note: I do not measure.  I just add to taste so its different every time.  Also, I have a gas stove which I am still adjusting to.  I've learned it is much harder to slow cook something on a low heat with gas versus electric.  Since I am using gas I adjust the heat on my stove a lot.  If using an electric stove you should be able to use a low medium setting throughout the process.  Also add seasoning to the sauce at different points in the process to get different levels of flavor.

Ingredients:
grape tomatoes
heirloom tomatoes
hot italian sausage
sweet italian sausage
fresh chopped basil
minced garlic
onion powder
1 can of tomato sauce

Step 1: brown sausages with olive oil, garlic and basil. Then once sausage has been browned on both sides add a bit more olive oil, a cup of water, and tomatoes. 



Step 2: Once tomatoes have started popping make sure heat is low and allow to cook.



Step 3:Take a spoon or fork and pop remaining tomatoes and start, for lack of better word, smushing them and mixing them. Continue to keep on low heat.



Step 4: Add 1 can of tomato sauce and keep at a low simmer. Season to taste.



At this point it is ready to serve.  The longer it is on heat the more the flavors will come together. Add to noodles and have your favorite italian sides.

Finished Product:









No comments:

Post a Comment